Links to papers or sites on climate change and health
This report gives an overview of climate change and health and provides information on relevant, documents, publications and websites.
- WHO overview
- Research documents on Eldis
- Relevant publications
- Relevant websites
- Climate change affects the fundamental requirements for health – clean air, safe drinking water, sufficient food and secure shelter.
- The global warming that has occurred since the 1970s was causing over 140 000 excess deaths annually by the year 2004.
- Many of the major killers such as diarrhoeal diseases, malnutrition, malaria and dengue are highly climate-sensitive and are expected to worsen as the climate changes.
- Areas with weak health infrastructure – mostly in developing countries – will be the least able to cope without assistance to prepare and respond.
- Reducing emissions of greenhouse gases through better transport, food and energy-use choices can result in improved health.