Produce a report on good practices and evidence of successful/effective voice and accountability interventions in the education sector focusing on activities strengthening/empowering School Management Committee (SMCs) and Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), reducing teacher absenteeism, increasing awareness of quality of education and access for marginalised children.
This report is on evidence of effective voice and accountability interventions in the education sector. Some of the main findings include:
School Management Committee (SMCs) and Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs)
• Parent teacher associations are seen as a key forum.
• School functioning has improved where communities have been actively involved.
Reducing teacher absenteeism
• Evidence suggests schools with PTAs that have met in the past three months have lower teacher absence.
• Teacher commitment and accountability clearly influence teacher attendance.
• Incentives and sanctions may improve teacher attendance.
Increasing awareness of quality of education
• The way in which education services are delivered affects their outcomes.
• Community participation in schools is thought to be particularly effective in improving educational outcomes
Increasing access of marginalised children
• The relationship between education and poverty is a circular one.
• Inequality in the access to secondary education is the main cause of persistent poverty.