This collection of videos, filmed June 4th, 2018 at the ‘TB Research briefing for UN Missions: The vital role of research in TB elimination’ event, highlights the critical role research plays in TB elimination.
The event aimed to:
- Educate missions about the critical need for scaling up TB research
- Sensitise missions to the need for commitments to increase TB research funding
- Sensitise missions and key stakeholders on the importance of investing in the full spectrum of TB research, from basic science to R&D to applied health research
- Promote principles to guide research to ensure efficiency in development and equitable access
- Reach a shared vision on priority tools and applied health research needs
Introduction and Keynote Speech
Opening remarks: Mark Harrington, Executive Director, Treatment Action Group
Keynote speaker: Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, Deputy Director General for Programmes, World Health Organization
Panel 1: A Step-Change TB Research: why TB research is critical and how to respond
Opening remarks and moderator: Professor Charlotte Watts, Chief Scientific Advisor, DFID
- Ms. Eloisa Zepeda-Teng, TB survivor, Philippines
- Tereza Kasaeva, Director, WHO Global TB Programme
- Irene Ayakaka, Makere University and Uganda Tuberculosis Implementation Research Consortium
Respondent: Minister Counselor Philip Gough, Permanent Mission of Brazil to the United Nations
Panel 2: Devoting the Resources
Moderator: Dr. Lucica Ditiu, Executive Director of the Stop TB Partnership
- Joanne Liu, International President, Doctors Without Borders
- Mike Frick, Senior Project Officer, Treatment Action Group
- Cheri Vincent, Chief, Infectious Diseases Division, US Agency for International Development (USAID)
Respondent: Mrs. Paulomi Tripathi, First Secretary, Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations
Panel 3: Designating Research Outcomes as Global Public Goods
Moderator: Mark Harrington, Executive Director, Treatment Action Group
- Paula Fujiwara, Scientific Director, The Union
- Tenu Avafia, Team Leader, Human rights, law, and treatment access, UNDP HIV, Health and Development Group
Closing remarks: Rt. Hon. Nick Herbert, Member of Parliament, U.K.
Event organisation and sponsorship:
The briefing was organised by Médecins Sans Frontières, Stop TB Partnership, Treatment Action Group, and The Union.
Sponsors include Permanent Mission of Brazil to the United Nations, Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations, United Nations Development Programme and World Health Organization.
This collection of videos has been produced in partnership with the K4D programme.